Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Rousseau's Ribbon Story (Extra Credit)

As part of my introduction to Rousseau, I retell his "ribbon story."  I have to shorten things up quite a bit, and my cartoon version may be a bit misleading.  Please read the original version of the ribbon story and
compare it to the version of the story I told in class.  How does reading the original version of the story add to your impressions of Rousseau?  Do you find yourself more sympathetic to him or less sympathetic to him?  Does the version of the story I told you in class seem close enough to the original, or do you think that students definitely should read the original version and draw their own conclusions?

4 comments:

  1. I feel that the story you told was spot on. I feel he is a worse person after reading this. He says so many good things about her and at the end of the story he says that if the person who owned the ribbon would have just pulled him aside he would have confessed. At any time in his life he could have went back and confessed. I feel he could have given her a gift like some money and could have apologized to her. I don't care witch one he dose be he should do one.
    -Mitchell Holler

    ReplyDelete
  2. After Reading The story directly from Rousseau's hand, I am convinced that he truly regrets it. This does not take fix the life that he ruined, but I would not look at him badly were he to be attending classes here at Northern.
    -Evan Brandner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel this story is spot on with what was discussed in class, with the basis that he committed the crime of blaming a young girl that everyone truly felt highly about (for a woman in her position). I would not say I am sympathetic to him, but I feel as though he knows he made a mistake but that the consequences already occurred and instead of getting everyone's trust to faulter in him, he lives with the pain of hurting such an innocent young woman. I believe that the way he wrote about the act, he would not do it again if the choice were to present itself, but that he does not feel as good about it as we had discussed in class. I feel we came to the conclusion that he thought what he did was funny and felt no remorse, but after reading this, I am convinced he does feel guilty and did not think this was as amusing as once thought.
    -Missy Elkins

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading the Ribbon Story I definitely like this guy less. Assuming that he is being truthful about the story in the first place and further assuming that his feeling of remorse are sincere, he apparently has had ample opportunity to make amends and has not.
    Matthew Traylor

    ReplyDelete